Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014, Ron wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 03:39:05PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Ron writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> > > Why include the epoch in tags at all?
> >
> > Because we want to be able to tell not just which tag was which but
> > also what order they are in.
>
> Right, but this is git, so that information is also already known.
>
> That said I did consider that side of it too, but I'm having a hard
> time thinking of an example where you would actually care about
> ordering the tags for some task.  Do you have one that comes to mind?

The BTS needs it: it is the very base of version-aware bug state tracking.
It builds the DAG by combining the DAGs extracted from the Debian changelogs
of each branch of the package, AFAIK.

So, do we envision any sort of hook that would need to do something like
version-aware state tracking?

> The ordering problem seems like one that could be fairly easily solved
> in other ways, but that would mostly depend on what reasons people come
> up with for actually needing that.  Purely in 'dpkg order' might not
> always be the most interesting order for some of those anyway.

Well, the best example I have (the BTS) has no use for "dpkg order" :-)

  Henrique Holschuh