Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Ron writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> Right, and like you already noted, there's potential for ambiguity
> in tag names anyway once the illegal characters have been mangled.

Raphael is proposing an unambiguous mangling which deals with this
problem.

> And then the totally separate question of how upstream tags might
> be named and might sort relative to your Debian ones.

Raphael's document obviously can't deal with that.

> Which is basically why I originally said that there isn't a generic
> way to solve this for everyone and every use.  It really depends on
> exactly why you want them ordered and the collating sequence (or
> other constraint) you want them them ordered with.

We are talking about the Debian tags (and those of our downstreams
using similar tools).  Several people have explained _why_ they want
them ordered.  The collating sequence is already defined.

> What exactly is your use case you feel this is essential for?

I think this discussion is in danger of going round in circles.
I'm going to leave it here and let Raphael get on with it.

Ian.