Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 03:39:05PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ron writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> > Why include the epoch in tags at all?
>
> Because we want to be able to tell not just which tag was which but
> also what order they are in.

Right, but this is git, so that information is also already known.

That said I did consider that side of it too, but I'm having a hard
time thinking of an example where you would actually care about
ordering the tags for some task.  Do you have one that comes to mind?

> The only reason I excluded epoch from filenames is that it makes tools
> like scp and rsync harder to use, and I sometimes wonder if my
> decision was wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure we could both come up with a similar list of pros and
cons for that, but it is the reality we have to deal with, and quite
a few people aren't aware that this would result in rejected uploads
(based on the question coming up in #d-d every few months).

And I'm really not sure whether p-t will handle that sanely or
destroy the universe if you try, so it seemed like a convention where
we could build in an extra safety catch to get people thinking when
they try to do something that will ultimately bite them.

The ordering problem seems like one that could be fairly easily solved
in other ways, but that would mostly depend on what reasons people come
up with for actually needing that.  Purely in 'dpkg order' might not
always be the most interesting order for some of those anyway.

  Ron