Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories

Ron writes ("Re: RFC: DEP-14: Recommended layout for Git packaging repositories"):
> Right, gitweb, cgit, gitk, etc. are all going to do exactly the same
> thing, take them from the DAG of the repo.  They are unlikely to care
> about how the tag names would textually sort (and even less likely to
> sort them in the order that dpkg would consider them in).

Looking at the DAG of the repo doesn't necessarily let you compare
versions in different suites.

Worse, unless I'm mistaken, there are some current workflows which
involve subsequent uploads to the same suite not necessarily being
fast forwards.

I think it is essential that tags can be ordered by their name, rather
than by looking at the commit graph.

Ian.