Re: Being part of a community and behaving

Le 15/11/2014 16:53, Tollef Fog Heen a écrit :
> You have two choices: you can drop the oldest or the newest log entries
> if syslog doesn't keep up.  Apparently, you prefer to ditch the newest
> ones, the code ditches the oldest ones.

When did you read that I prefer to ditch any of them ?

> Have you actually interacted with any systemd developers?  Your
> experience doesn't match mine at all.

No, but I read some bug reports, mailing lists, etc etc. And I saw a lot
of "wontfix", more than in other projects.

> How do you know that your old setup didn't lose logs too, but just
> failed to record it?

Of course I can't be sure, but the point isn't just the logging issue.
The point is that until now, systemd hasn't been tested in real huge
production environments. There are three big players in this segment:
RHEL, SLES, and Debian. RHEL7 was launched in June, SLES12 in October,
and only in the next months will we see what happens. Debian used to
wait carefully before integrating such new technologies at the heart of
the system. I don't consider that Fedora, OpenSuse or Arch are
enterprise-grade distros, so as far as I'm concerned, systemd is still a
new technology because the test in real production environments has
started only a few months ago with RHEL7, even if Fedora uses it since 2011.

Once again, to be clear: I may or may not like systemd, but my point is
not to tell if it's a good or bad choice for Debian; I'm just saying
that making it the default init system is too soon compared to the
conservative position that Debian has accustomed us to.

--
Raphaël Halimi