Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> writes:

> When I got "upgraded" to systemd on july, my system was completely
> misbehaving for several reasons related to my configuration:

> - I had an ISO mount in my fstab, whose file didn't exist any more,
> sysvinit never complained about it, systemd just stopped at boot.

Separate from the question of behavior on upgrades, I think we need to do
something about this before the jessie release.  There have been multiple
bug reports against openssh about its /run directory not being created
properly, which are due to this same issue.

Technically, those mounts need nofail if you don't care if they fail, but
sysvinit clearly never cared, so there are a lot of people out there with
failing mounts that they've just been ignoring.  When they install
systemd, the system then stops working in confusing ways.  I'm tempted to
say that installing systemd from a sysvinit system should mark anything
that isn't mounted at the time of the upgrade "nofail".