Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

Hi,

Zack Weinberg:
> I think this strategy is positively _necessary_ in order to ensure
> that systems currently running Wheezy can safely be upgraded to
> Jessie.  There are simply too many wacky configurations out there; it

If we do decide that a default switch is unsafe for too many systems, then
I wouldn't have a problem with, for instance, adding a debconf question to
systemd-sysv's preinst which tells people what to do if they don't want
systemd for whatever reason.

> [ symlink and co-installability ]

If technically feasible, that would be a far better safety net (just tell
people to boot with init=/sbin/sysvinit if they run into a problem) than
an "oh dear, it's so dangerous that we don't even install it by default"
message. :-/

--
-- Matthias Urlichs