Re: systemd, again (Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing)

Noel Torres <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:
> On Friday, 5 de September de 2014 21:36:43 Ansgar Burchardt escribió:
>> Nothing prevents you from a, installing systemd-shim from Jessie before
>> running apt-get dist-upgrade or b, using "apt-get dist-upgrade upstart".
>>
>> I'm fairly sure I saw this question also answered on -user@ once or
>> twice times (which is also the appropriate list to ask such questions).
>
> So, in your POV, forcing millions of sysadmins out there to take extra pain to
> keep their systems running as they expect is the way to go?

I think it's fair to expect the few hundred people[1] that want to run a
non-default init system to do so, yes.

  [1] I can also make up numbers :)

> Do you really expect millions of users to read and understand the (sometimes
> cryptic) release notes explaining that they must perform a not straightforward
> upgrade just to jave their systems up to date?
>
> Do you think it is realistic to expect them all reading some obscure
> documentation _before_ upgrading?

No, but that shows that it's important that people get the default init
system on upgrade by default: if they encounter problems, it is easier
to find help if you run something close to a default installation.

Ansgar