Re: sysvinit is still here, and here to stay for jessie (was Re: systemd is here to stay, get over it now)

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 16:42, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 04, 2014 at 09:52:07AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > So, let me get this straight:
> >
> > You're saying that if, having decided to postpone rebooting after an
> > upgrade where any reasonable person would expect to reboot
>
> This is Debian, not Windows or Red Hat, forced reboots are not
> acceptable.

Yes, this is Debian and not a magic world.

> There was enough trouble when udev needed an in-lockstep upgrade with the
> kernel a few releases back.  If systemd components are going to need such
> forced reboots on a repeated basis, I don't like where this is going.

Nobody said that. But I am sure you can understand that some changes
might require a reboot to have all functionality. I think it's
unreasonable
to require that all components must work in every combination of partial
upgrade.

And still this is unstable/testing and some inconveniences are allowed,
we just must be sure that the stable release upgrade process is smooth.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>
Knot DNS (https://www.knot-dns.cz/) – a high-performance DNS server