Re: Alioth tracker

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 18:05 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2014, Оlе Ѕtrеісhеr wrote:
> > I thought that usually such requests should be done through an request
> > for help? (Is that valid for "pseudo packages" like a hypothetical
> > alioth one?) If the alioth admin team would openly request for help
> > (maybe on the Debian-News?), they may gain more attention for that.
>
> Most infrastructure teams are always looking for help, wether they send
> explicit calls for help or not. And even more so when they are not working
> properly.

Sorry to be blunt Raphael, but your response looks like a series of
platitudes designed to settle down the politics.  Alioth's maintenance
is in serious trouble.  It is unusable to many projects on it, and it is
clear from it's own bug reporting systems this has been the case for
years.

Deciding to accept an offer of help requires a lot of work.  You have to
find a graduated set of tasks that allows you to gain confidence in the
persons abilities, and closely monitor how well they perform them.  It
looks to me like the effort required is beyond the Alioth team.

I say that because I had a similar experience to Ole, which I reported
here [0], on IRC and on Alioth's bug tracker [1].  They all included
offers to help.   AFAICT the bug reports have never been looked at.

The only response I got here was from Paul Wise [2] who said my negative
impressions of sourceforge were outdated.  (Well done Ole - you managed
to elicit a better response than me.)

In the end it doesn't matter I guess.  Unlike the other core Debian
facilities there are lots of well known alternatives out there so Alioth
isn't really needed.  I tried 3 of them (4 if you count Alioth) moving
on from each after trying to put a project on them and finding then
deficient.  Thanks to Paul's advice I tried SourceForge in the end, and
so far it has worked out well [3].  Thanks Paul - that response really
helped.

Ole - I suggest you do the same.

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2014/05/msg00463.html
[1]