Re: Alioth tracker

FTR I used to be an Alioth admin, so I have some experience with the
work involved.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Russell Stuart wrote:
> Sorry to be blunt Raphael, but your response looks like a series of
> platitudes designed to settle down the politics.  Alioth's maintenance
> is in serious trouble.  It is unusable to many projects on it, and it is
> clear from it's own bug reporting systems this has been the case for
> years.

You're painting a picture which is worse than the reality. I agree
that nobody is looking at the tickets regularly and that mails to
admin@alioth.debian.org tends to not get an answer but there are admins
and they are not entirely unavailable. Up to now I always managed to get
answer to my requests even though if often requires pinging the admins
via #alioth.

> Deciding to accept an offer of help requires a lot of work.  You have to
> find a graduated set of tasks that allows you to gain confidence in the
> persons abilities, and closely monitor how well they perform them.  It
> looks to me like the effort required is beyond the Alioth team.

That's true, it's difficult to get enough confidence in someone that
has not some history of contribution and to give them root rights.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2014, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> In this case, gradually transitioning people to admins probably won't work:
> somebody needs to monitor the new guys+gals and give them a couple of
> rights to start with … and then, after some time, a couple of more rights …
> and who says that my "I want to help" request will be looked at, much less
> my "I'm ready for more opportunities to cause untold damage, give them to
> me" mail, next month?
>
> Instead, get a couple of volunteers and give them full admin rights from
> the start. Some will blunder their way through and some will quit after a
> week, but when the shakedown is done there's at least a chance that some of
> them will stay with it (and not break things too badly).

This happened a few times already but only with well know DD. Cyril
Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> got root rights over night after having
provided a few patches to multiple configuration files. I believe he
dropped off quickly because he does many other things already but still...
Alexander Wirt <formorer@debian.org> also joined the team not so long ago
AFAIK.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/