Re: systemd-fsck?

Hi,

Thorsten Glaser:
> • no /etc/init.d/$foo (to tabcomplete, no less!) any more

Why you think these are going away? They're not, not any time soon;
and you can still use them when you're running systemd (assuming that you
include the LSB functions, like init.d/skeleton has been advising you for
the last umpteen years), no matter whether you have a native .service file.

And even if your init script is from the stone ages, it won't suddenly
break. More than before, that is.

> • totally different ways to rescue a system that does not boot
>   cleanly any more

You choose the 'rescue' option in your boot manager. Same as now.

In fact, rescuing a system becomes way easier even without learning any
magic tools. For example, when bootup breaks you get dropped into a rescue
shell, same as before. The difference with systemd is that as soon as you
manage to mount that recalcitrant file system, bootup just continues;
you don't actually have to *do* anything to trigger that.

Contrast that to the SysV way where your best way to get a clean startup
in that situation is a reboot.

Anyway, yeah, the tools are different. They're also much more capable;
(wearing my sysadmin hat) I can fix my system / daemon a whole lot
faster than before -- don't ask me how often I had to use strace on some
daemon because its stderr got "helpfully" redirected to /dev/null or,
worse, to an already-recycled log file somewhere.

With a sensible systemd unit file, this becomes a non-issue.

So what *is* the problem?

> And CVS does not need replacing. (git’s got different use cases.)

Frankly, I do not know of a single usecase for CVS which git doesn't
handle *way* better.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs