Re: Debian default desktop environment

On 04/08/2014 01:34 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 04/07/2014 07:26 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> For a desktop use, probably. For server setup, please don't. The CD1 is
>> better than the netinst CD because... it doesn't need network!
>
> You deploy your servers from a CD? Don't get me wrong, but installing
> from CD in an enterprise environment doesn't sound very professional
> to me.

Note a CD, a CD image, booted from the KVM over IP using virtual media
over LAN. That's a pretty common use case, especially using preseeding.

> And even if you want to install
> from CD, most modern servers provide a BMC with keyboard, mouse and
> video redirect over the network which also allows you to mount ISO
> files as virtual CDs.

That's what I'm using yes. Probably you should have read my message up
to its end, where I wrote: "I'm also unsure all my KVM over IPs support
images for DVDs rather than simply CD."

> In that case, you don't really care about whether
> it's a CD or DVD.

Even if they do, I don't see the point in using images 6 times the size
(takes longer to download and uses more storage for no improvement).

Thomas