Re: Debian default desktop environment

Le vendredi 04 avril 2014 à 23:52 +0100, Philip Hands a écrit :
> Anyway, to return to the main point, I do wonder why nobody has bothered
> to mention that the reason for the switch was that Gnome no longer fits
> on CD#1.

The thing that I don’t understand is that someone made such a decision,
which is a *functional* one, based on a purely *technical* matter.
Especially one as minor as the installation CD which has no actual
conceivable use today.

There are valid arguments for picking either of KDE, Xfce or GNOME. But
if the main reason for choice is a vague “fits on CD#1” requirement,
then I’m afraid we lack precise technical requirements of what changes
need to be implemented.

> Actually, no, instead why don't you all check out the various threads on
> debian-boot where those arguments have failed to be persuasive, and then
> go and do something productive instead.

Could you please sum up those discussions and explain what kind of
changes you would consider to be productive?

--
.''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :