Re: Debian default desktop environment

Wolodja Wentland <debian@babilen5.org> writes:
> One thing I dislike about switching the default DE is that it puts a lot of
> people active in support in a position in which they might not actually be as
> familiar with the DE they will end up supporting most frequently simply by
> having learned a different "default" one a few generations back. The
> information flow from experienced users to new users is thereby slightly
> hampered.

Yes, because all that Gnome 2 experience is going to be so helpful when the
poor sod at the other end of the phone is looking at a Gnome 3 desktop.

Anyway, to return to the main point, I do wonder why nobody has bothered
to mention that the reason for the switch was that Gnome no longer fits
on CD#1.

Rather than a totally pointless discussion about choosing a default that
will render our minimal install media worthless, how about persuading
people that nobody needs CD images any more, or that it's OK to have a
useless CD#1.

Actually, no, instead why don't you all check out the various threads on
debian-boot where those arguments have failed to be persuasive, and then
go and do something productive instead.

Cheers, Phil.
|-|  HANDS.COM Ltd.                    http://ftp.uk.debian.org/