Re: systemd and Linux are *fundamentally incompatible* -> and I can prove it

El Sat, 29 de Mar 2014 a las 11:51 AM, Jan Gloser <jan.renra.gloser@gmail.com> escribió:
> Now that systemd has wrecked all kinds of previously working stuff, and many are beginning to realize the *impossibility* of getting systemd to > work *with* linux -> I think this might have some effect this time around.

Hello everybody,

I've been watching this discussion, quite curious what would come up and now that I have read some responses I would like to say that

[snip]

I would also like to ask something the people who dislike systemd (as there seem to be more). I am not very proficient with such internals of debian, but you say things like systemd breaks things and systemd has no unified design and sytemd is possibly a security risk. But can you give some easily reproducible examples or setups, code samples, cucumber scenarios, whatever, that could clearly demonstrate how systemd breaks anything? Otherwise it's very hard for me to judge anything if I can't play around with it and truly see for myself that it's so EVIL. Otherwise if you just personally disagree with the design of systemd and can't describe such a scenario, why not just migrate to Gentoo or BSD?

systemd lacks the immense extensibility of Upstart. One example of this is udev integration. Upstart integrates with udev through an out of process (not PID1) bridge which emits events. This integration could have easily been done outside of Upstart's source tree, or with any other device event daemon (e.g. FreeBSD's devd, which listens to /dev for device events and reacts to them). This extensibility: keeps PID1 small and minimal, so that unneeded bridges can easily be disable on more streamlined and specific setups; rips away licensing restrictions and contributor agreements; allows for disagreements and difficulties with upstream to be avoided; and finally increases portability of the init system.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Norman