Re: Ifupdown dysfunctional, is a Provides: interface possible please?

El Fri, 28 de Mar 2014 a las 2:28 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> escribió:
Le vendredi 28 mars 2014 à 20:23 +1300, Matt Grant a écrit :
I sincerely would like to work with the ifupdown maintainer and systemd/udev crew to work all this out. A basic level/interface of functionality for replaceable network configuration packages would be nice.
Alternatively, we could make NetworkManager the default. It is already here, it works, and it doesn’t have such problems.

NetworkManager, as well as Connman, would essentially prevent a network mounted /usr (as well as wicd I believe, but need to check). networkd is the only option that *improves* the situation, and does not worsen it (a network mounted /usr with ifupdown is hard because wpa_supplicant requires some libraries that are in /usr/lib, but much less so than nm or connman, both of which reside in /usr themselves). networkd was specifically created to allow for even deeper remote fs situations (specifically, network mounted root).

I think any change to a new network configuration should not ignore the scenario of a network mounted /usr, as NM and connman seem to have done.

My 2¢,
--
Cameron Norman