Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org> writes:
> On 02/20/2014 09:57, gregor herrmann wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 21:30:44 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>>> That package does currently depend on
>>> perl, though, which isn't appropriate for an essential package.
>>> ...  The dependency is because
>>> deb-systemd-helper uses a bunch of modules that are not currently in
>>> perl-core (File::Path, File::Basename, File::Find, File::Temp,
>>> Text::ParseWords, and Data::Dumper,

>> I might be missing something but they all seem to be in perl core:

> I think Russ means they are not part of perl-base package, but provided
> by perl/perl-modules in Debian. So packages using them have to depend on
> the full perl package instead of the minimal perl-base package.

Yes, sorry, wrong package name.  I keep making that mistake.

> However this could be fixed by moving the additional modules to
> perl-base (increasing its size slightly) or changing the implementation
> to not use them.

Yes.  I'm not sure if we want to do that rather than just keeping that
program in a separate package from the stuff that has to be essential.
I'm not familiar with how high of a bar we set for including modules in
perl-base.

Some of those modules (File::Find, File::Temp, Text::ParseWords) are ones
where I'd be a little uncomfortable with open-coding the desired
functionality.  Getting those operations correct is tricky and requires
care, and it's best to use standard implementations that have been heavily
tested.