Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> They *HAVE* to be provided by the active init system.  They are an
> impedance matching layer (aka stable API) used by maintainer scripts to
> interface with the active init system.

If you look at the existing implementation, you'll find that the version
provided by sysv-rc already supports systemd, upstart, and sysv-rc itself.
So this isn't precisely true.  If we stick with the current model, then
some (probably essential) package just needs to provide those
implementations and accept patches to work with new init systems, but each
init system doesn't need to provide its own version.

There are some advantages to providing only one version with knowledge of
all of the init systems given that we're supporting init system switching,
and therefore may need to set up state for init systems that aren't
currently running so that switching can work properly.  A good example is
registering an init script with insserv so that the correct S and K links
are created even if the system is currently booted with a different init
system.