Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 02/20/2014 10:45 PM, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le jeudi, 20 février 2014, 22.28:56 Thomas Goirand a écrit :
>> On 02/20/2014 09:02 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>> What features does sysvinit+openrc have that
>>> sysvinit+sysv-rc+insserv doesn't have?
>>
>> Just to name a few:
>> - getting rid of the ugly LSB headers
>
> They might be ugly, but they encode the dependency tree; by what are
> they replaced in OpenRC?

There's of course dependencies in OpenRC. You have the choice: either
you keep the LSB headers, either you write it the OpenRC way (IMO,
prefered...). In OpenRC, you just use functions of the openrc-run
"interpreter". For exaample:

depend()
{
	use dns
	need localmount
	after bootmisc ntp-client
}

The "need" expresses a Required-Start:, and "use", a Should-Start:.

>> - cgroup supports to kill processes
>
> On non-Linux ports ?

cgroup are optional, and obvious, not in use in kFreeBSD (see
/etc/rc.conf for its activation).

On 02/20/2014 10:52 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> I'm curious: does OpenRC allow processes to leave the cgroup? For
> example, when killing the ssh service, I do not want to kill active
> connections. With systemd, pam_systemd takes care of this. How does it
> work on OpenRC?

Sorry, I don't know. You can try if you're curious! :)

On 02/20/2014 10:52 PM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Doesn't it still use the (unmaintained?) sysvinit? But then, that's
> only a part that probably doesn't need much maintainance anyway.

Correct, and I agree. The /sbin/init binary is anyway very small. As
much as I can tell, it is built only out of src/init.c and src/utmp.c,
which together represent 3162 lines of C code currently. That's antic
code from 1991! :)

Thomas