Re: pulseaudio related problems....

Le 2014-02-17 16:00, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
On 02/17/2014 04:02 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Well. You can't blame PulseAudio if you have an .asoundrc in your home
directory which configures your sound card incorrectly.

Oh !!!

Now I do remember why my pulseaudio system works. It's because I
followed to the letter this howto:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/PerfectSetup/

Well, having a look at it, it seems it changed quite a bit. But that's
what I followed.

The question is: why don't we have this by default in Debian? Why would
it be up to the user to configure each and every software to use the
correct audio stack? IMO, it'd be great if we had consistency.

Probably because, "Debian is about choice", which makes such wide-ranging changing impossible. Because pulseaudio is not assumed, because udev is not assumed, one can not put a configuration in /etc/asound.conf that says to use pulse. Because that would remove choice, which is important to these non-PA users. Remark that it is important to them especially because we cannot configure this by default, so PA does not work (by default), so does not work, so it is important to be able to go without PA :-/

In my experience, sound not working in PA was due to one program using the alsa driver
while the other uses PA, and not saying Alsa to use PA for mixing.

Sincerely,
--
JC Dubacq