Re: Proposal: let’s have a GR about the init system

On 10/28/2013 06:28 PM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>, 2013-10-25, 23:45:
>> OpenRC has been waiting in the NEW queue (targeting experimental, as
>> this is what it is right now: experimental!) for more than a month.
>> It'd be nice if someone from the FTP master team could review it, so
>> that at least others can try it.
>
> IANA ftp-master, but here's my quick review:
>
> Please rename /sbin/rc to something else. We've had (unrelated)
> /usr/bin/rc in Debian for at least 18 years.

Outch! This bites hard. Maybe you being the maintainer of the "rc"
package is why you saw this immediately! :)

Though that's annoying, because upstream must extensively uses "rc". All
OpenRC commands are in fact using /sbin/rc. For example, /bin/rc-status
(which shows what  is a symlink to /bin/rc, and then /sbin/rc finds out
that it has been called by using /bin/rc-status, so it prints the status.

I'm not sure how hard it will be to fix, though I don't expect it's
going to be just-a-simple-rename... :(

> What is the rationale for the binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath override?

Probably OpenRC doesn't work if that isn't done, because it is loaded
very early in the boot process (I'm really not so sure about this one,
it would need more investigation, and I always delayed that one...).

Thomas