let's split the systemd binary package [Was, Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME]

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 02:21:25AM +0200, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> 2013/10/24 Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>:
> > [...]
> >> If Gnome depends on gnome-settings-daemon, which now depends on systemd,
> >> this might be a worrying trend, as non-Linux kernels don't support systemd.

> > Well, that's one more reason the init system and the dbus services should be
> > separated out in the packaging.
> Some of the services consume functions and features provided by
> systemd (the init system).

Which is exactly the kind of embrace-and-extend that Debian should not
tolerate having foisted on them in the default desktop by an upstream
pushing an agenda.

> So splitting it out is not an easy task. Ubuntu manages to do that by
> heavily patching systemd and their own upstart to support a systemd-less
> system.

So first of all, how hard it is to split is irrelevant.  This is work that
must be done, and Debian should not accept excuses for it not being done.

Second, there's nothing hard at all about applying these patches that have
already been written and are being used in Ubuntu.  Indeed, AFAICS there's
only one patch to the upstream code currently missing from the Debian
package:

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/systemd/trusty/view/head:/debian/patches/0025-login-monitor-no-machine.patch

This is a trivially small change to maintain.  And the Debian package
already includes a number of other fixes to enable running the dbus services
without systemd init.

All the rest is "just" packaging, which the Ubuntu packages again provide a
working model for.