Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:14:41AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> maintenance.  I seriously doubt that us switching away from Gnome will
> have a detectable negative impact on Gnome's rate of development, so the
> average quality of our offerings on the desktop, and the quality of that
> choice for all Free Software users, seems likely to improve as a result
> of such a change.

Note that it likely won't have an impact on the rate of development, but
it will have an impact on the QA side of things. A default environment
should get more QA by that distribution. It usually also is used more
and tested more by users from that distribution. The more distributions
using a DE, the more bugs which are discovered. And there do are
differences in distributions which either hide or expose bugs.

E.g. I discover bugs in GNOME that the developers from Fedora don't notice.
Same for people from other distributions. Having a varied user base is a
good thing (I like *BSD). Ideally those distributions should also not
lag behind too much. Finding huge issue in something which was released
6+ months ago with a decision made maybe 12 months ago makes it
difficult to change things.

Above only as a datapoint for discussion. I'm from GNOME and all that ;)

--
Regards,
Olav