Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 10:40 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> Why force
> *every* user of the installer to make that choice, when many of them
> find the very question to be a needless imposition which makes the
> installer incrementally less helpful?
Sorry, but we're talking about Debian!

I don't think that our target audience are people who cannot make such
choices, and even if that would be our desired audience (a feeling which
I have with *buntu) than our actual audience is probably another one.

Debian is the "Universal OS", isn't it? Or at least it wants to be,...
and I'd guess most of our users actually _want_ to have all these
choices.

> Every choice the user is presented with is a cognitive burden, and must
> be justified.
Come one... it's about selecting a desktop environment, which most of
our user will know anyway.
"Cognitive burden"... you're speaking as if monkeys in some NASA lab
would be put in front of a computer and have to decide for the right
desktop environment in Debian to go to space ;)

Cheers,
Chris.