Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

Hi.

Since some people have demanded to drop GNOME as default desktop in "my"
"systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME" thread the following
popped up in my mind:

On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 16:40 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Let's change the default desktop for installation to xfce.
Do we need to have a default desktop at all?

I mean it's IMHO fine to select some defaults for very low level system
stuff or libraries,... like Heimdal vs. MIT Kerberos, or the init
system, or the initramfs toolkit...
In some other places it may seem worth to select one default, but I
would have some issues with it (like the "crypto consolidation").

But do we really need a default desktop environment? Can't we just let
people choose during installation, present them a list with some of the
key properties of the different projects?

Since there are so many issues with GNOME now, not only technical but
also things with respect to the work model that GNOME forces upon their
users, I think that it actually is time to reconsider GNOME being the
default desktop, but this doesn't necessary mean, that we need to
promote another one into that position.

Note that I'm talking about "default desktop" - not default widget
toolkit.
I can't imagine any case where it should be impossible to build one
package with multiple toolkits (of course if the package supports them),
but if such case should exist, then I personally think it's good to have
a "default" widget set in which case I would stick with GTK.

Cheers,
Chris.