Re: Proposal: switch default desktop to xfce

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 01:47:00AM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-25 at 10:40 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Why force
> > *every* user of the installer to make that choice, when many of them
> > find the very question to be a needless imposition which makes the
> > installer incrementally less helpful?
> Sorry, but we're talking about Debian!
>
> I don't think that our target audience are people who cannot make such
> choices, and even if that would be our desired audience (a feeling which
> I have with *buntu) than our actual audience is probably another one.

I taught Linus Torvalds some aspects of the C language in 1991. I
wrote a little bit of code for the kernel in 1991. I installed Linux
on my PC using boot floppies and a hex editor on the boot sector. I
built most of the software I needed to run myself, until distros
started happening. I maintained the Linux Software Map for a while,
and moderated comp.os.linux.announce. I co-founded and wrote a book
for the Linux Documentation Project. I've been involved in Debian for
nearly two decades, working on a variety of parts of the system. I've
worked for Canonical on various aspects of Ubuntu. I now work for a
new company on a completely new, from-scratch way to develop embedded
and appliance Linuxes, and yes, we include a desktop system. I've used
twm, vtwm, fvwm1, fvwm2, various proprietary window managers/desktop
systems, CDE, KDE, GNOME, and am now on GNOME+xmonad.

I know how to make the choice. I don't fucking want to. Unless I'm
needing to do a customised install for particular needs, I want Debian
to provide me with defaults that just work. I don't care if the
default choices are the ones I would choose myself, I can make changes
later on.

--
http://www.cafepress.com/trunktees -- geeky funny T-shirts
http://gtdfh.branchable.com/ -- GTD for hackers