Re: Less dinstall FTW?

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:
> > Is there a reason why we couldn't have incoming.d.o apt-able without
> > lowering the dinstall frequency?
>
> That is also possible, however fewer dinstall runs mean less data to
> push to mirrors and to archive on snapshot.d.o as dists/ would change
> less often. And with a public incoming.d.o, dinstall is less interesting
> as the packages would already be available. Only changes to testing
> would bring something new, but those only happen twice a day.

Can we separate dinstall and pushing to the mirrors ?

It's probably a good idea to run dinstall more often but to push to
mirrors only once or twice a day. That would probably imply keeping
already processed packages for an entire day on incoming.d.o as well
so that they don't disappear there before having hit the public mirrors.

The reason why we want to keep dinstall running often are notably:
- closing bug earlier
- informing users/developers earlier that updates are available (even
  though only via incoming.debian.org for the first few hours)
- always having up-to-date data in projectb
- we might want to have internal mirrors updated more often than public
  mirrors (for instance the mirror on which the PTS would tap into)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/