Re: jessie release goal: verbose build logs

Hi,

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013, Russ Allbery wrote:
> debuild, pbuilder, and related packages currently use
> lower-level build architecture should take over maintaining that log file
> instead and those tools should be modified to assume that's already
> happening and move that log file around like the other build products?

While I agree that dpkg-buildpackage should have that feature, it's also
clear that those higher level tools have their output of their own that is
likely to be interesting as well. I really want the build log to include
the installation of the build dependencies for instance.

So there should be some coordination between both levels. Maybe the
higher level tools could hand over a file descriptor for the build log
that they started filling before calling dpkg-buildpackage.

Also if we use the same .build extensions for dpkg-buildpackage there will
need to have some sort of transition to ensure all other tools creating
those are correctly cooperating with dpkg-buildpackage.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/