Re: jessie release goal: verbose build logs

Hi!

On Tue, 2013-08-13 at 22:08:34 +0200, Joey Hess wrote:
> At DebConf, Enrico came up with this idea: When the package is building
> with the display going to the console, something could intercept the
> stdout and convert \n to \r. Let stderr through untouched. The result
> would be a build that makes it *very* easy to focus on the warnings, while
> still providing a progress display of what is going on at any given
> moment in the build.

> I'd like to see dpkg-buildpackage modified to use something like this by
> default, because it would reduce the level of cruft we wade through
> (often up to our eyeballs) when building packages, and allow
> concentrating on what's important. At the same time, it allows adding as
> verbose output as we like and getting that saved in the build logs for
> when a detailed analysis is needed.

I'd probably be fine with something like this as an option in
dpkg-buildpackage, which ideally could be also enabled through its
future config file. But I'd really not be comfortable enabling it
by default, because this seems fragile and assumes upstream build
systems are sane and have consistent behavior, or the build might be
so fast you cannot see what's going on anyway compared to being able
to scroll back a bit (w/o reading the build log file).

Thanks,
Guillem