Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:
> On 30-05-13 19:29, Thomas Goirand wrote:

>> Maybe the best way forward is to have backports activated by default

> No.

> If we're going down that route, we might as well give up on doing a
> stable release.

Two issues keep getting confused when people talk about this, so let me
try to clarify the way that this was clarified on backport-users.

The actual proposal in the bug report is to add backports.debian.org to
the default sources.list file in the installer, but not otherwise change
anything about the backports configuration.  Specifically, the archive
would remain NotAutomatic ButAutomaticUpgrades.

This would *enable* users to install software from backports if it either
didn't exist in stable at all or if they explicitly requested it from
backports, but would not install such software by default.

I think this is an excellent idea and is absolutely something we should
do.  backports.debian.org helps considerably in easing the pain of our
long release cycle but is underadvertised.  This would make using it much
simpler and more straightforward for our users.

What would be giving up on doing stable releases is to install software
from backports by default (in other words, remove NotAutomatic).  No one
is proposing that.