Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

On 05/30/2013 09:29 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 03:20:29PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
>>> Which web browsers would remain in stable if we applied this criterion
>>> consistently?
>>
>> Although that makes me very sad, if we (collectively) give up packaging
>> browser extensions (hence letting our users rely on third-party repositories
>> to get access to [non-]free binaries) and frozen browsers in stable, then
>> maybe the correct answer to your question is "none".
>
> And do you think that would be the best outcome for Debian users? FWIW,
> I don't. I think the compromise that the security team is proposing is
> much more reasonable than such an alternative.

I agree with both Zack and Didier here.

Maybe the best way forward is to have backports activated by default
(there's already a patch available for that, not sure if it has been
applied to d-i yet). Then when installing a desktop (since backports are
now fully part of Debian), we could provide browsers from there (maybe
as a Recommends:, so it isn't forced into our users ?).

Thoughts?

Thomas