Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

Le jeudi, 30 mai 2013 00.10:11, Philip Hands a écrit :
> Moritz Mühlenhoff <jmm@inutil.org> writes:
> > Willi Mann <foss-ml@wm1.at> schrieb:
> >>
> >> wouldn't it be better to do the bumps of major ESR versions in point
> >> releases? That might also allow a few more extensions to be updated.
> >
> > We need to release the security updates when ready and cannot
> > realistically align the point releases with Mozilla releases.
>
> Does this perhaps indicate that these packages are not really suitable
> for stable, and should instead be provided via backports or some similar
> mechanism (i.e. a mozilla-bikeshed[1])?

I concur. Although I very much understand the practical constraints leading to
softening the "no new upstream versions in stable" policy for the specific
case of browsers, it nevertheless feels as jumping on the "no stability exists
outside of the latest upstream releases" bandwagon.

If we can't handle the backporting of serious security issues on top of our
stable version (in order to maximise the avoidance of regressions), then maybe
said software shouldn't be shipped in stable in the first place. Thoughts ?

OdyX