Re: default MTA

On 30-05-13 13:56, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:31:14PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>> If we're making something GNOME-specific, we don't do that. If we make
>> an application that fits into any fdo-compliant notification area, we do.
>
> Within GNOME we usually create a freedesktop.org solution, then use that
> within GNOME. This is how udisks works. A large generic part, then
> another GNOME-specific component.

Sure.

> Seems the solutions are very focussed on the assumption that things
> cannot be changed. E.g. programs currently send email, so email it has
> to be forever.

No, that's not how I interpret the discussion.

Doing important notifications through mail only means that many people
won't see the important notifications due to the way we handle mail by
default currently. So we need to fix that.

However, the mail approach does have certain upsides for large
installations and multi-user systems:
- Regular users can't always see what's in syslog, so getting the output
  of their cron or at jobs there won't help them.
- For the things that really really matter, it makes sense to have them
  sent to a central "root" mail address, so that in case of a large
  multi-system installation, the sysadmin knows when things go really
  really wrong.

If we configure things so that root mail gets sent to the user that was
created at install time by default, and then install some fdo
notification thing that allows a user to read and mark read or delete
(or both) mails in their local mailbox by default, that should work for
both use cases.

--
This end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space.

If it starts pointing toward space you are having a bad problem and you
will not go to space today.

  -- http://xkcd.com/1133/