Re: default MTA

Le mardi 28 mai 2013 à 13:07 +0200, Bjørn Mork a écrit :
> The local MTA serves as a common configuration for the external SMTP
> server, with a well known interface supported by every single package
> which wants to send mail.

Which packages are entitled to send mail to the outside without
configuration from the sysadmin, exactly?

We are talking about a default configuration, and the only useful thing
in a default configuration is local mail. Local mail not being read by
anyone on most machines.

> I don't see the point discussing this at all until there is an
> alternative interface with a similar level of support.  Otherwise you
> are just going to repeat the MIME support mess again.

Just like for the MIME support mess, the damage is already done. Nobody,
I repeat, nobody, ever reads local mail on most desktop systems, and
even many server systems. For desktops, we need to rely on direct user
notification. For servers, careful people rely on real-time monitoring.

Local mail is a quick solution for persistent notification of the system
administrator, but it doesn’t scale at all when you have more than 3
machines under your control.

I don’t think the situation is that bad. We could probably work on
alternative notification systems for cron jobs, but for the other
important use cases of local mail, we already have what we need.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :