Re: default MTA

2013/5/29 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org>:
> On 28 May 2013 19:10, Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> wrote:
>> Would it help if we had a desktop-component, which is able to:
>>  1) Show a notification *on the desktop* if the user received new mail
>>  2) Offer a GUI way to read system mails
>>  3) Offer a way to delete these mails
>
> Instead of adding *another* desktop component. Wouldn't it be better
> to have the "standard" desktop e-mail reader [0] configured to read
> local e-mail from the start?
>
> Since the e-mail reader would be already nicely integrated into the
> Desktop it already provides 1, 2 and 3.
Yes, if there is one, it should be used. But I was thinking that
receiving local mail in their mail clients from their own system might
be very confusing to users, because they are used to the fact that the
system shows them notifications *on the desktop*, instead of writing
them mails. Also, there might be the case where no local mail reader
exists, because users prefer to read mails in a webmailer, for
example.
Cheers,
    Matthias