Re: default MTA

On 29 May 2013 17:12, Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> wrote:
> 2013/5/29 Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs@debian.org>:
>> On 28 May 2013 19:10, Matthias Klumpp <matthias@tenstral.net> wrote:
>>> Would it help if we had a desktop-component, which is able to:
>>>  1) Show a notification *on the desktop* if the user received new mail
>>>  2) Offer a GUI way to read system mails
>>>  3) Offer a way to delete these mails
>>
>> Instead of adding *another* desktop component. Wouldn't it be better
>> to have the "standard" desktop e-mail reader [0] configured to read
>> local e-mail from the start?
>>
>> Since the e-mail reader would be already nicely integrated into the
>> Desktop it already provides 1, 2 and 3.
> Yes, if there is one, it should be used. But I was thinking that
> receiving local mail in their mail clients from their own system might
> be very confusing to users, because they are used to the fact that the
> system shows them notifications *on the desktop*, instead of writing
> them mails. Also, there might be the case where no local mail reader
> exists, because users prefer to read mails in a webmailer, for
> example.

I agree that desktop notification is the way to go, but while we get
there the local mail in their mail clients is the best option we have.
Certainly best than not getting any notification at all.

The "no local mail reader" installed case is not a common case, since
users installing a default desktop will get it. IMHO we should strive
to fix the issue in the default installation (regardless of desktop
selected).

Best regards

Javier