systemd & journal (was: Re: /bin/sh)

"brian m. carlson" <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> writes:

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 10:08:21PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> This is utter bullshit and you should already know it. Systemd is much
>> more reliable as a whole than any other implementation. I have yet to
>> see a use case where it is not better.
>
> It is not better if you don't want proprietary binary-format logs in
> /var/log with no documented way to turn them off.

Your logs still end up being forwarded to a traditional syslogd, so
there's exactly nothing you loose. The binary logs are also
non-persistent by default, they do not eat up space under /var/log
unnecessarily.

In return, you gain a lot of goodies even when you do not directly use
the Journal in any way, such as being able to safely switch or upgrade
syslogds, without risking the system becoming unresponsible when
/dev/log fills up, and quite a few more.

(FWIW, with my syslog-ng hacker hat on, I like the Journal even more
than I do with my regular user hat on.)

> For better or for worse, sysvinit provides a lot of modularity.  systemd
> provides none of that modularity, and there are a lot of things it does
> that I'd rather disable (or better yet, uninstall) because they're just
> wrong.  When I've used upstart and sysvinit, I've never had
> functionality that I wanted to disable and remove.

You must be talking about a different systemd then.