Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

On 05/12/2013 03:44 AM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> We all saw where GNOME took use with their lack of choice: an
> unusable trainwreck.  It's a disgrace that this shipped as the
> default desktop for wheezy, it really is.

Like for everything in Debian, this is bound to someone killing
the concept of a default Desktop. It is indeed a shame that
nobody worked on that. Let's hope someone finds the time to
fix that for Jessie.

> The fact that GNOME is going to *require* systemd is really
> just yet another reflection upon the stupidity of tight-coupling
> and what happens when you start trying to control others.  What
> are they, Microsoft or something?  It's a bad attitude I never
> thought I'd see in the free software world--up until now we took
> great pains to be interoperable with each others rather than
> forcing the rest of the world to conform to our worldview.  One
> desktop environment, and an awful one at that, dictating the
> init system we use is a complete farce.  Debian is a lot bigger
> than GNOME, and if we have to, I'd vote for junking it entirely.

I 100% agree with the above. Let's hope we can demonstrate
that OpenRC is a viable choice. Working on it is so much better
than just fighting on -devel.

Thomas