Re: /bin/sh (was Re: jessie release goals)

]] "brian m. carlson"

> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 02:29:40AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> > >The format may be binary, but it certainly is not proprietary [1]
> >
> > I really can't believe people are still coming up with that non-sense.
>
> Maybe because I read it on LWN (http://lwn.net/Articles/468381/):
>
>   All complaints about UUIDs were quickly overshadowed by another issue
>   once the full proposal was posted: one might charitably say that there
>   is not, yet, a consensus around the proposed new logfile format. In a
>   sense, that is unsurprising, since that format is deliberately
>   undocumented and explicitly subject to change at any time.
>
> You'll pardon me if I believe that LWN is a reputable source for
> information.

This was approximately correct a year and a half ago.  It's not correct
today, partly because people did want the format to be documented and
for it to settle down.

> > I have no idea why people assume that a binary format means it can only
> > be processed with a special, proprietary tool. Binary simply means what
> > it means, binary and not text which means it's a more stream-lined and
> > machine-readable format as opposed to a text format with no formatting
> > at all.
>
> It means that it works completely differently from every existing Unix
> log parser on the planet.  syslog is hardly "no formatting at all".

syslog and other log files isn't structured particularly well.

> > And, when it comes to processing, binary data is actually *easier* to
> > process. Everyone who has ever written a text parser themselves will
> > agree.
>
> I have written several, and I still prefer plain text.  I want to use
> the same tools to parse my logs that I have used for years, like
> logcheck.  Text files is the Unix way.

Nothing stops you from having plain text log files too while using the
systemd journal.  We're not planning on taking the old/regular-format
files away.  Adding the journal means you get more information, you get
better searchability and so on.  If you don't want that, turn it off.  I
want it, since it'll make it easier for me to manage my systems.

Cheers,
--
Tollef Fog Heen