Re: Merging / and /usr (was: jessie release goals)

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 04:06:38PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> And I absolutely do not buy the argument that Debian does not
> have enough manpower to keep the / vs. /usr separation (for many
> use cases) working.

When you've demonstrated that these issues can be adequately resolved in
Debian without introducing more bugs in core library packages, then we can
have a conversation about whether it makes sense to mount /usr from the
initramfs.  Until then, this discussion is a waste of time.

> Ben mentioned hotplug stuff. Can that not be deferred to until
> after /usr is mounted?

Feel free to bring us a working proof of concept - not a handwavy assertion
that this can be made to work.

And using udev, please, not eudev.  It's clear that eudev doesn't have the
necessary critical mass to maintain feature parity with udev.  Debian should
not tether itself to an implementation that's going to hinder us, when
you're already swimming against the current by trying to enforce this
requirement.