Re: Doubts about PPA in Debian

On 2013-05-09 15:58:02 +0800 (+0800), Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 05/07/2013 10:34 PM, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
[...]
> > > Also, the rules in backports is that packages should be
> > > already migrated to testing. The point is, if I had PPAs, I
> > > wouldn't at all upload to SID and wait for a migration to
> > > testing, because it would be better if the packages were
> > > living in the PPA only (that would be a lot more flexible and
> > > adapted to my use case).
> >
> > I think that would be a bit sad and I hope you don't do that.
>
> I agree. I tried to explain that to upstream, but no luck so far...
> There's not much I can do, especially with a project of that size.
[...]

To be fair, it's mostly growing pains. The project is only a few
years old at this point and has over 500 active developers (a
significant percentage of whom do it as a full-time job). There
wasn't previously as strong a focus on long-term supportability and
maintainability as the codebase grew. OpenStack doesn't officially
do development work on bug fixes for releases over a year old, but
also doesn't discourage packagers/distributors from attempting to do
so (and is generally fairly helpful at pointing them in the right
direction if the bug can be easily demonstrated).

It has also recently grown a release upgrade testing suite in its
CI, so future releases will at least provide a fully tested model
for incrementally upgrading database schemas and configuration files
from one release of OpenStack to the next. For distributions
skipping intermediate releases this probably still means carrying a
stub of the skipped releases in the next release, enough to be able
to perform upgrades... but if you'll recall at our last summit there
was also consensus around further splitting out the upgrade
mechanisms so downstreams could make easier use of them (I think you
were in the room for that conversation).
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi@cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );