Re: 2013 sometimes still feels like 2003 or 1993 (Re: NEW processing during freezes

* Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> [130502 12:28]:
> > People do this all the time: upload packages built against local packages,
> > experimental or even on Ubuntu to Debian sid.
>
> /me shivers. This hurts. There is no reason not to rebuild in sane
> environments. Can we please fix this for the next release?!

I'm not sure the cure is not worse than the problem.

Apart from the big problem of making it even easier for people to
upload trash without testing it (both wasting buildd resources and
lettings users install broken packages which any trivial testing would
have catched, from which I've seen far too many), reducing the
buildability of packages is a cruical problem for freedom.

If we step towards rebuilding everything in a highly artifical
environment, it should be made clear that a package having missing
build-conflicts or any other bug preventing it from being built on
a real system should still be important bugs afterwards.

Once we drop that and only give people the right to modify the
software we distribute but no longer the possiblity to do so
on their own, the "Free" we are so proud on gets mood.

Also build systems tend to degrade quite heavily over time and
get more and more specific. In some years we might not be able
to switch to some other builder tools as too many packages depend
on the specifics of the ones we currently have.

        Bernhard R. Link