Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 03:45:50AM +0100, Guillem Jover wrote:
> While this could benefit the multiarch installations (for which they
> can easily use --path-exclude), it would use lots more space on single
> arch installations.

Does it really?

A quick test tells me that uncompressing every file under /usr/share/doc
does indeed increase the size of that directory on my laptop by a factor
of approximately two:

After running "sudo find /usr/share/doc -name '*.gz' -exec gunzip {} \;",
the size of that directory is as reported by 'du -s' is 1263220
kibibytes, while it was 757280 before, a difference of 505940.

This is on a system with 2524 packages installed, for a grand total
of...

dpkg-query -W -f '${Installed-Size}\n' | awk '{TOT+=$0} END{print TOT}'
8830371

... approximately 8.5GiB of installed software. While I agree that
adding around 500MiB to that installed size is significant, I wouldn't
define it as 'lots more space'. Additionally, it should be possible for
dpkg to support compressing at install time for those users who request
it, based on a configuration parameter.

the following formula:

pi zz a