Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 22:01:23 +0100, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> In practice, the only compressor we need to care is gzip, which is
> not actively maintained upstream[0]. Chances that a new version of
> it will break large number of packages are minute.

That assumes that we will never want to switch to a better/faster
compressor for any gzip compressed file. Or that there's no existing
files compressed with anything other than gzip.

> But anyway, I believe that in the long run we should simply
> deprecate compressing stuff in /usr/share/doc/.

So the main reason people are arguing for shared files boils down to
used size, either in installed files, or Packages files, etc, yet you
want to fix the compression issue by not compressing them and using
even more space?

While this could benefit the multiarch installations (for which they
can easily use --path-exclude), it would use lots more space on single
arch installations.

Also splitting files into new arch:all packages should usually reduce
archive size usage for example.

regards,
guillem