Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 11:25:28 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012, Neil Williams wrote:
> > I don't get it. That would only affect packages which were built
> > during the time that a new upload of gzip is made and all the
> > buildd's making that new version available. Now, if there is a
> > binNMU after a new version of gzip is uploaded, yes it is probably
> > wise to rebuild all architectures if the package includes a
> > Multi-Arch: same library. How often does that happen?
>
> Isn't this something that we can test for in the archive, and require
> rebuilds for all affected packages before entering testing?
> [Multi-Arch: same with the same path that have differing md5sums?]

This has for example the following implication:

Let's assume compressor (gzip/bzip2/xz/etc) version M gets uploaded to
sid generating a reproducible output across all current architectures.
Time passes, compressor version N (and even O and P and Q etc) gets
uploaded, which starts producing new ouput (on each of those versions).
A new architecture gets added to Debian, and because previous compressor
versions are not in the archive anymore, all packages built with them
have different checksums than the new ones. This means *all* those
packages have to be binNMUed across *all* the architectures, or the
porters need to hunt down every specific compressor version used to
build those packages to be able to reproduce the build on their arch.
This seems highly suboptimal and “future-unproof”...

regards,
guillem