Re: Please test gzip -9n - related to dpkg with multiarch support

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 02:14:22PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> For those not subscribed to that bug, how to reproduce[1] and possible
> fix[2] are available now. There might be other places where buffers are
> reused, I only spent a few minutes on this during my lunch break.
>
>  2. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=60;bug=647522

Even if you ensure a particular build behaves exactly the same on a given
architecture, you're merely introducing future problems.

gzip's output is likely to change:
* on a new version
* after a bugfix (including security ones)
* on a different architecture
* with different optimizations
* with a different implementation (like those parallel ones)
* possibly with a different moon phase

Especially the first is pretty guaranteed to bite: whenever the upstream
does a small improvement, binaries in the archive get invalidated until
rebuilt with the new gzip.

Breaking the ideas for diverting /bin/gzip by pigz is not nice, too.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple