Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 01:47:52PM -0400, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
[...]
> All the pings in the world won't help if you are sending them via
> a path that discards them.  I know several large US ISPs that automatically
> reject what they consider SPAM without the customer's knowledge.  If
> the sender of the ping is on a SPAM list for one of them, the ping
> will never get to the maintainer, and *no one* will know.
> (From personal experience I can tell you mail from the Debian list addresses
> does get "caught" in these SPAM "filters" and no, the ISPs won't change the
> policy.)

Given that Debian lists are 'open' and haven't always had good spam
filtering, it is not too surprising that they are sometimes treated
as spam sources.

In general, anything that needs to reach the maintainer(s) of a
specific package should not be sent to the maintainer address, not to
some general mailing list.  (The maintainer address may itself be a
mailing list, but if the maintainer(s) no longer read mail sent to it
then that's a further reason to orphan/salvage the package!)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
                                                              - Albert Camus