Re: [SUMMARY/PROPOSAL] Orphaning another maintainer's packages

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 09:51:16AM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:

> So yes, I say long silence from the entire community *including the
> package maintainer(s)* probably means it's safer to orphan the package
> than not. I would probably send a few pings during the one month
> period though. I would also be careful during vacation periods,
> especially if the maintainer is not a DD and therefore can not easily
> announce VAC.

Can you define in absolute terms what are the "vacation periods" that
apply to anyone/everyone of all cultures and religious backgrounds in
the world in a way that is acceptable to everyone?

A long silence is defined as how many hours/days/weeks/months/years?

All the pings in the world won't help if you are sending them via
a path that discards them.  I know several large US ISPs that automatically
reject what they consider SPAM without the customer's knowledge.  If
the sender of the ping is on a SPAM list for one of them, the ping
will never get to the maintainer, and *no one* will know.
(From personal experience I can tell you mail from the Debian list addresses
does get "caught" in these SPAM "filters" and no, the ISPs won't change the
policy.)

Pat