Re: (seemingly) declinging bug report numbers

On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 20:10 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> I'm not seeing any signs that Ubuntu actually wants to take over what
> Debian is the best at, which is maintaining a very broad range of packages
> at high quality.  Notice the number of folks who start doing Debian
> packaging because they want to introduce their packages upstream of
> Ubuntu, and the number of less-widely-used packages that are maintained
> entirely in Debian and just imported into Ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu has full-time developer resources available to focus on certain
> core work, which means they can drive archive-wide changes faster than we
> can and can do focused development on specific priorities often easier
> than we can.  Having centralized decision-making also helps with both of
> those.  But they're not as good at the things that large pools of
> volunteers are good at, like maintaining lots of packages that are of
> interest to small groups of people.
>
> I think the relationship is fairly synergistic, honestly.

Well... I hope you're right :)

Reading however Shuttleworth's blog[0] makes me really worried about
what Ubuntu may mean to opensource... reads a lot like non-open
development in secrecy just to be as cool and media-attractive as
companies like Apple.

Anyway... that discussion was just thought about the bug numbers
originally... and I guess everything has been said already.
And as I was privately notified that my contributions to Debian are too
little for writing a lot at debian-devel... so EOT here for me, too.

Cheers,
Chris.

[0] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1200